Dual Adventure Gear Recommendations
What you wear on your tour can have a significant impact on how much you enjoy your trip. Point Reyes Outdoors will provide you with a PFD (lifejacket), paddling jacket, and spray skirt for the kayaking portion of your tour. Basically, we will make sure you are safe and dry.
You should plan to wear layers that are appropriate for the weather and your personal degree of sensitivity to heat and cold. The Point Reyes National Seashore typically experiences no great extremes of heat and cold, but you should be prepared for variable weather conditions. Dense fog, bright sunshine, winds, and rain are all possibilities on any given day.
In general, it is important to wear fleece, wool or synthetic fibers. These fabrics wick moisture away from your body and keep you warm, even if you get wet. You should avoid wearing cotton, which is very slow‐to‐dry. This includes sweatshirts and sweatpants, as well as blue jeans.
- Short sleeve shirt on warm days
- Long sleeve shirt for sun protection or on cooler days
- A warmth layer of fleece, wool, or synthetic material. We recommend having one even if you don’t think you’ll need it as the weather can become unexpectedly cool
- Quick-dry hiking pants, athletic pants, or non-cotton shorts are good choices depending on the weather.
- Rain pants can be a good choice if it is very cold or damp.
- Your feet will get wet getting in and out of the boat and wet shoes are uncomfortable for hiking. We recommend having two pairs of shoes!
- Good shoes for kayaking are old tennis shoes, wetsuit booties, rubber or Teva-type sandals, or rain boots.
- For the hiking portion, pack comfortable walking or hiking shoes that are known to be comfortable.
- Wool, polypro, or silk socks are ideal. Cotton socks will not be as comfortable or moisture wicking.
Other Recommended Items:
- Plenty of water: 1-2 liters
- Sun hat & sun glasses
- Camera and/or binoculars
- Daypack to carry essentials
- Fleece or wool hat for cool or damp weather
Please remember when choosing your clothing that you are responsible for carrying anything you bring throughout the day. Bring light, warm and efficient attire. Give us a call at 415-663-8192 if you have any questions.